Friday, June 15, 2007

CBE first ride reactions

Despite some narrow-minded comments from some of my less fashion-forward readers, I took the Swobo out for it's maiden voyage today (white rims and all). My initial reactions were very, very positive. I was expecting a bike that looked cool and was OK to ride. It's actually a blast to ride. It's got a fairly tight wheelbase (making it nimble), deep section rims, and unlike the Van Dessel, 700x23 tires. Oh, and it weighs 14 lbs. fully equipped.

It's the kind of bike that you want to ride all day. Even thought it's a fixed wheel, I didn't feel nearly as fatigued on this bike as I did on the Van Dessel. Part of the difference could also be that the Swobo is steel vs. aluminum for the Van Dessel. Steel does a much better job of absorbing vibrations than does aluminum (generally). Whatever the case, I had too much fun on roads today.

Anyway, if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and you wanted to ride a fixed-wheel bike, the Swobo officially has two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

At some point I'll upload some pictures of the CBE so you can get your daily fix as well.

1 comment:

todd said...

Ahem,

(from cyclingnews)

Hincapie talking to T-Mobile?

Johan Bruyneel is looking for a new title sponsor to take over from the departing Discovery Channel, but George Hincapie may not be around to ride for whoever that may be. The American road race champion, whose contract expires the end of this year, is said to be in touch with T-Mobile, but has told his current team leadership that nothing has yet been settled, according to SportWereld.

Luuc Eisenga, technical director for T-Mobile, refused to either confirm or deny the rumours, saying: "It is still too early to name names."