Friday, August 10, 2007

How do I hate Rudy?

Let me count the ways!

Speaking to reporters in Cincinnati, Giuliani said: "I was at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers. ... I was there working with them. I was exposed to exactly the same things they were exposed to. So in that sense, I'm one of them."

It could be me, but as I remember it, as I was sitting in my apartment in Brooklyn breathing the stench that blew over from NYC for months after 9/11, or while I was walking from the subway to work, right past the smoldering site, I really don't recall seeing many pictures of Rudy in the pit digging. I do remember some speeches but, and please feel free to correct my faulty memory, I really don't recall the former Mayor pitching in much on the physical side of things. I cannot imagine what those workers went through in clearing up the site and I'd be embarrassed if anyone made any type of comparison between me and them (in a similar vein I get pissed when people talk about how heroic they were to go back to work downtown after the attacks). It takes hubris the size of Cleveland to proclaim yourself one of them because you occasionally went down there for some death tourism and a photo op.

"As often, if not more"?! Those guys worked 60-80 hour weeks down there for months. Jesus Rudy, who do you think you are? Wait, could he actually think he's... Jesus?

He's done enough to finish his campaign three times over already. How he is still campaigning is beyond me.

Shit like this is why I have such a back load in housing posts.

1 comment:

BGGB said...

I think Giuliani is going to win the Republican nomination and his candidacy will be a referendum on whether America has gotten any smarter since George W Bush swindled us into 'electing' an unqualified, blowhard, war-monger who wants nothing more than to wage war on brown people.