Thursday, September 20, 2007

Politics

OK, so blogging has been somewhat, um, erratic lately. Hopefully things will turn around and settle down a bit.

Presidential race - although it's too early to make a choice, my preferences are Edwards, Obama then Clinton. I think that Edwards is the most wonkish and has thought through many of the big issues. It also helps that he's been through the process before. My one concern with Edwards, and it is a big one, is that he doesn't appear able to attack, to put his political foes on the defensive. That's a big problem for him and would, I think, doom his presidency.

On the Republican side, I really don't like any of 'em. I'd be willing to bet that Rudy isn't the candidate but really don't care who runs, "R" is going to be a hard letter to overcome in '08.

UPDATE:

Wanted to expand a bit on the post from last night. The thing that dismays me about Edwards is his inability to stick in the shiv. It's necessary in politics and he's been unwilling, or unable, to do it so far. He seems to have outsourced the role of attack-dog to his wife (Ann Coulter, Hilliary Clinton) which only exacerbates the issue. I don't get the feeling that he'd be capable of fighting against a hostile Congress (and if the threshold is 60 votes in the Senate, Congress will remain hostile) to get any of his ideas implemented. His are the ideas I like best right now, but he is not the person I see getting them through.

Which then brings it to Obama or Hilliary. I think that both have shown a level of ruthlessness, and both would be very capable. Selfishly, I'd like Obama simply because I don't want to go through a campaign season reading nothing in the Times and the Post but stories about whether Hilliary and Bill are still knocking boots.

Anyone else with early thoughts on the Dems?

As far as the Republicans, well, the field is a joke. Rudy changes his position on gun control after 9/11? Really? Were the people in Cantor going to pull .38's and shoot the planes out of the sky before they hit the towers? He's a joke and sooner or later someone is going to start slapping him around. Romney? McCain? Really, those are the choices?

No comments: