Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Dangerous, Dangerous Man

In all seriousness, I think that Giuliani may be nuts. Here are some of his thoughts on waterboarding as torture:

It depends on how it’s done. It depends on the circumstances. It depends on who does it. I think the way it’s been defined in the media, it shouldn’t be done. The way in which they have described it, particularly in the liberal media. So I would say, if that’s the description of it, then I can agree, that it shouldn’t be done. But I have to see what the real description of it is. Because I’ve learned something being in public life as long as I have. And I hate to shock anybody with this, but the newspapers don’t always describe it accurately.

Um, what changes to the description would make it ok for you, Rudy? Only a little water? And can you please describe for us the "liberal media"? Does the "conservative media" have a different definition of waterboarding? Can we please hear that definition?

So I think America should never be for torture. America should be against torture. It violates the Geneva Convention. Certainly when we’re dealing with armed combatants, we shouldn’t get near anything like that. There is a distinction, sometimes, when you’re dealing with terrorists. You may have to use means that are a little tougher.

Um, why would you have to be tougher with a terrorist? What is it about terrorists that require them to be treated with greater toughness? Why would that greater toughness work with terrorists but not armed combatants? If it really is important to get the information, wouldn't you use the same tactics regardless of category? Why reserve your most effective (i.e. tough) methods just for terrorists?

And I see, when the Democrats are talking about torture, they’re not just talking about even this definition of waterboarding, which again, if you look at the liberal media and you look at the way they describe it, you could say it was torture and you shouldn’t do it. But they talk about sleep deprivation. I mean, on that theory, I’m getting tortured running for president of the United States. That’s plain silly. That’s silly.

This nonsense drove me crazy when Rumsfeld said it (I stand all day, why can't prisoners stand? It's not torture if I do it myself), and it drives me nuts here too. Rudy, your sleep deprivation is VOLUNTARY and, I'd be willing to bet, you are not up for 24 hours at at stretch. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that when you do sleep, you sleep in a pretty nice bed. Wait, we KNOW that you do, when you are not busy staying awake on Gulfstreams. To speak about it in the way that you do is to (purposefully) obscure what's really going on. Just as the people forced to stand for days on end eventually had their legs burst out in sores, keeping people up for days and interrupting their sleep cycles can be vicious and psychologically devastating. It makes a big difference if you can sit down when you feel like it and sleep when you feel like it.

The entire piece is worth reading simply to discover for yourselves how crazy and dangerous Giuliani is. He is a madman.

No comments: